Release critical bugs

Can anyone point me to a definition of what a "release critical bug" is
and who can determine whether a bug is one? I tried Google and Debian
searches, but couldn't find anything.

The number of release critical bugs has gone up by about 20 in the last
week, yet some of these do not seem to me to be so important that they
should delay the official release of 3.0

Is it really so critical that (to take #145845) gnome-chess won't build on
an ia64? Or that gnomesword (#145262) has a dependency that Woody doesn't
satisfy?  There will always be some problems with some applications, but
my idea of "release critical" pertains more to the essential functioning
of the system and to the major applications that a high proportion of
users actually use. These examples make me feel that the definition is
perhaps a little too broad.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber