Re: Mailing List and Newsgruops

On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 07:00:22PM -0700, Paul 'Baloo' Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, 6 May 2002, Grant Edwards wrote:
>
> > In the muc groups' articles, why not set the "followup-to:"
> > header to be the mailing list e-mail address?
>
> Because newsreaders are expecting newsgroups to be listed in the
> followup-to, and it wouldn't work?

Though it doesn't obey RFC1036, slrn handles it -- I assumed
other newsreaders would also.

It would proably be more compliant with RFC 1036 to do

   Followup-to: poster

The problem is that the RFC is a unclear on what "Followup-To:
poster" actually means.  The RFC text states tha the followup
is to be e-mailed to the article's "submitter". Unfortunately,
the RFC never defines "submitter".  It could be determined by
the From: the Reply-To: or the Sender: headers.

The RFC is clear that "replies" are to be sent to the reply-to:
address if present, but the RFC never actually states where
followups are to be e-mailed.  I _assume_ that Reply-To: is
supposed to be used (that's what slrn does), but it would be
nice if it were so stated.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com