Re: Mailing List and Newsgruops

In article <[🔎] 20020505131616.56d87a4f.keith_oconnell@blueyonder.co.uk>,
Keith O'Connell  <keith_oconnell@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>Can someone advise me, assuming a "good" newsgroup feed\supplier,
>
>a: What is the realistic lag between messages in the mailing list
>   and in "linux.debian.user" news group?

No idea.

>b: Do all the messages sent to the mailing list get to the newsgroup?

No idea, but see below.

>c: Can a person write to the mailing list by posting to the newsgroup?

Depends if your news server is configured correctly, the groups should
be moderated, and the moderator address should be the  correct gateway.

The problem however with these linux.* groups is that it appears
several people are running mail2news gateways; and not all of them
post to linux.*. And due to how Usenet works, if a debian-user post
is gatewayed to myprovider.local.debian.user and it somehow still
ends up at your provider or their upstream, that message-id is
flagged as 'seen'. If the same message later shows up in
linux.debian.user it will NOT get posted to that group on newssservers
that already have a message with that message-id in another group.

>As must be apparent, I am thinking of taking this mailing list via
>newsgroups and I just want to see the down side, if any.

It might work but my guess is that it is not nearly as reliable.

Mike.