Re: OpenOffice 1.0 ,debs?

On Friday 03 May 2002 04:53 am, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> On Fri, 03 May 2002 17:32:24 +0800
>
> "Patrick Hsieh" <pahud@pahud.net> wrote:
> > Hello Peter Whysall <peter.whysall@ntlworld.com>,
> >
> > Is there any sources.list for j2sdk 1.4 or j2re1.4?
>
> I didn't find a sources.list for it, but I installed the 1.4 j2sdk from
> Sun's site.  The only caveat is that I needed to also install
> libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1 to satisfy it's shared library requirement.  I
> dropped the j2sdk into /usr/local with a symlink of /usr/local/jdk to the
> version specific folder.  The OpenOffice debian package found everything
> on it's own.

so, is that the only choice, a manual non-deb install? to take the question
further, is openoffice worth the effort? how does it differ from the last
iteration of staroffice? having to resort to a java download from sun just
reeks of submission to the same manner of hegemony that microshit employs.
whether it's wanker mcneally or wanker gates, in both cases, there's a wanker
desirous of compliance and submission.

ben