Re: OpenOffice 1.0 ,debs?

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 07:23:53AM -0700, ben wrote:
> On Friday 03 May 2002 04:53 am, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> > On Fri, 03 May 2002 17:32:24 +0800
> > "Patrick Hsieh" <pahud@pahud.net> wrote:
> > I didn't find a sources.list for it, but I installed the 1.4 j2sdk from
> > Sun's site.  The only caveat is that I needed to also install
> > libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1 to satisfy it's shared library requirement.  I
> > dropped the j2sdk into /usr/local with a symlink of /usr/local/jdk to the
> > version specific folder.  The OpenOffice debian package found everything
> > on it's own.
>
> so, is that the only choice, a manual non-deb install? to take the question
> further, is openoffice worth the effort? how does it differ from the last
> iteration of staroffice? having to resort to a java download from sun just
> reeks of submission to the same manner of hegemony that microshit employs.
> whether it's wanker mcneally or wanker gates, in both cases, there's a wanker
> desirous of compliance and submission.

Now I might be missing something here but there are at least two other
choices:

a) as Chris Halls enlighted debian-user earlier today:

edit /etc/openoffice/autoresponse.conf and change
    JavaSupport=preinstalled_or_none
    JavaSupport=none
then:
    rm -r .sversionrc .openoffice
    openoffice

b) install OpenOffice with tarball to /usr/local. That will not
require any additional, manual non-deb install of any java-thingy.

--
Note that I use Debian version 3.0
Linux emac140 2.4.17 #1 sön feb 10 20:21:22 CET 2002 i686 unknown

Hans Ekbrand