java plugin for mozilla?

Hi Group,

I am a linux newbie running Woody and Mozilla 0.9.9.

How did you get the java plugin to work in Mozilla?  I'm finding it
extremely painful.  I have the plugins for NS4, NS6, and NS6.10 that
came with JRE 1.4 ... but they all crash mozilla.  When I go to
java.sun.com I get a pop-up that asks me if I want to install the java
plugin, I say yes but the installation fails.

Is there a solution?

*Also is there a difference between the sun plugin and a normal java
plugin?

thanks,

mg