Re: java plugin for mozilla?

Michael Griffis, 2002-May-02 10:48 -0700:
> Hi Group,
>
> I am a linux newbie running Woody and Mozilla 0.9.9.
>
> How did you get the java plugin to work in Mozilla?  I'm finding it
> extremely painful.  I have the plugins for NS4, NS6, and NS6.10 that
> came with JRE 1.4 ... but they all crash mozilla.  When I go to
> java.sun.com I get a pop-up that asks me if I want to install the java
> plugin, I say yes but the installation fails.
>
> Is there a solution?
>
> *Also is there a difference between the sun plugin and a normal java
> plugin?

The way I do it is to start Mozilla as root and go to
http://java.sun.com, this will spawn the java plugin installer.
Follow the instructions to download and install.  It will install
java into the /usr/lib/mozilla directory.  When done, close
Mozilla and leave root, then start it again as a regular user.
That should do it.

Otherwise, use the Blackdown java as describe elsewhere in this
thread, although I've not yet used it I understand it works
nicely.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer