Re: print web pages with dot matrix?

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002 08:45:52 -0500, ktb wrote:

>On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 08:23:55PM -0500, Gary Turner wrote:
>> On Mon, 29 Apr 2002 09:42:09 -0500, ktb wrote:
snip
>> >I installed the printer using apsfilterconfig.  I chose the Epson
>> >Ghostscript driver as specified at linuxprinting.org.  The printer of
>> >course prints plain text just fine.  Have I missed a step here or change
>> >a config?
>>
>> Apsfilter probably set you up with:
>>
>> 	lp--default, doesn't go through Apsfilter/gs
>> 	raw--(may be called something else) goes through Apsfilter,
>> 		but is not modified
>> 	pandot--(my name for the panasonic dot-matrix printer) goes
>> 		through Apsfilter and gs and is output as a graphic
>> 		(raster scan) for the Panasonic
>
>OK things are becoming a little more clear but looking though the
>print howto and gs manpage it isn't becoming apparent to me how to
>generate a command to do what "pandot" does for you.  I'm going though
>the gs docs in /usr/share/doc/gs/Use.htm to see if I can figure this
>out.

"pandot" is not a command.  It is what I named my printer.  Look at your
printcap to see what you named yours.

>  I was wondering if you could share your printcap?  You can email
>it to me directly if you like.  It looks like I'm going to have to muck
>around with files in /usr/share/ghostscript/common/ also, is that
>correct?

Probably not.

Look at man lpr.  The -P switch lets you name the printer you want used.
As far as lpr is concerned, each printer named in printcap is different
even if they are all the same physical machine.

When you ask, say, Mozilla to print, it will send the file to the
default printer unless you specify another in the command line.  From my
post:

	'In Mozilla, click file->print->properties then change the "Print
	Command" line to "lpr -P<whatever-you-named-your-printer>"

	For example, mine reads   lpr -Ppandot'

I attach my printcap.
--
gt
It is interesting to note that as one evil empire (generic) fell,

lp|Generic dot-matrix printer entry:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :af=/var/log/lp-acct:\
        :lf=/var/log/lp-errs:\
        :pl#66:\
        :pw#80:\
        :pc#150:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:

# rlp|Remote printer entry:\
#         :lp=:\
#         :rm=remotehost:\
#         :rp=remoteprinter:\
#         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/remote:\
#         :mx#0:\
#         :sh:
# APS1_BEGIN:printer1
# - don't delete start label for apsfilter printer1
# - no other printer defines between BEGIN and END LABEL
pandot|Printer1 auto:\
    :lp=/dev/lp0:\
    :if=/etc/apsfilter/basedir/bin/apsfilter:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/pandot:\
    :lf=/var/spool/lpd/pandot/log:\
    :af=/var/spool/lpd/pandot/acct:\
    :mx#0:\
    :sh:
raw|Printer1 raw:\
    :lp=/dev/lp0:\
    :if=/etc/apsfilter/basedir/bin/apsfilter:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/raw:\
    :lf=/var/spool/lpd/raw/log:\
    :af=/var/spool/lpd/raw/acct:\
    :mx#0:\