Re: 2.2.20 -> 2.4.18 kernel-image -> X hangs machine

On Tue, 2002-04-30 at 10:12, dave mallery wrote:
<snip>
> hi scott
>
> hardware: pIII-550E 256mb parity aha2940uw G200-16mb

Is this a laptop?
Other than it being a laptop it looks like very normal and well
supported hardware.

> kernel currently: stock kernel-image 2.4.18_686-5 (same problem with -4
> and a custom compile job)  stock kernel has CONFIG FB=y

Have you tried 2.4.17?  There was a little mix up with a patch in 2.4.18
that may be causing you problems.  I dont think it would but try 2.4.17
just in case.

> ssh: no go  ctrl/alt/anything: no go
>
> machine is rock solid in console mode.

So its completely fried?  Do you have any other cpu and memory intensive
processes that you can run on this computer.  The 2.4.x series had a lot
of changes in the VM implementation over 2.2.x along with a bunch of
other stuff.  XF86 stresses the system pretty hard sometimes.  But since
you can compile a kernel this is unlikely.  Did you ever get a
segfault(sig 11 I think) while compiling a kernel?  If you did it would
point to a hardware problem.

> frame buffer command in XF86config=4 was commented back in 2.2.20.
>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier      "Generic Video Card"
>         Driver          "mga"
> #       Option          "UseFBDev"              "true"

So you are using XF86 4.1?  Is this option still commented out for
2.4.x  Have you tried enabling and disabling it?
<snip>
> i don't see any reference to G200... however essentially the same config
> was in 2.2.20 where X works fine.  the modules concerned with G200 are mga
> and agpgart both of which are present and accounted for.

I doubt this is the problem.  But maybe you could try compiling them in
and saying no to all the rest of the fb options.  Hence take out
everything you dont need and have as much as possible compiled in.

Also are you running any services on this machine?  Does it lock up as
soon as you start XF86?
> thanks for answering.
Your welcome, but I am not an expert and Im just going from my own
experiences.  Maybe you should post the original message to the debian-x
list as well.  Maybe they could help you more than I, but dont expect
too much until the release.

--
-Peace kid
  Scott Henson	shenson2@wvu.edu

"God's the ultimate playa, so naturally He's going to have some haters,"
rapper Ice Cube said. "But these haters need to realize that  if you
mess with the man upstairs, you will get your ass smote. True dat."