Re: 2.2.20 -> 2.4.18 kernel-image -> X hangs machine

On 29 Apr 2002, Scott Henson wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-04-29 at 12:58, dave mallery wrote:
> > hi
> >
> > i posted this the other day, but no response.
> >
> > X was perfect under woody and 2.2.20.  after installing both a custom
> > 2.4.18 and the two latest kernel images, the same symptoms remain.
> >
> > when you startx or let gdm start, the screen blanks, flickers and the
> > machine is totally hung.  in my previous posting i thought there was a log
> > produced, however subsequent study reveals that not to be the case. nor
> > does startx 2>xlog produce anything.  if i insert an error into
> > XF86config-4, then i get a normal failure and a log.  since this
> > configuration works perfectly under 2.2.20, it looks like the problem must
> > be kernel-related.  but using the stock kernel-image should take care of
> > dependencies.
> >
> > from startup console near the end:
> >
> > --nfs
> > PCIC module not defined in startup options!
> > --sshd
> >
> > that's about the only complaint i can find... has something to do with
> > probing pci or pcmcia... message comes from /etc/init.d/pcmcia so i don't
> > think it is relevant..
> >
> > clueless in new mexico
>
> What is your hardware.  Also do you have fb compiled in or module.  Is
> XF86 using the fb?  Can you ssh into the machine when it dies? Or does
> ctrl-alt-del kill the X server?

hi scott

hardware: pIII-550E 256mb parity aha2940uw G200-16mb

kernel currently: stock kernel-image 2.4.18_686-5 (same problem with -4
and a custom compile job)  stock kernel has CONFIG FB=y

ssh: no go  ctrl/alt/anything: no go

machine is rock solid in console mode.

frame buffer command in XF86config=4 was commented back in 2.2.20.

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Generic Video Card"
        Driver          "mga"
#       Option          "UseFBDev"              "true"

from /boot/config-2.4.18-686
#
# Frame-buffer support
#
CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FB_RIVA=m
CONFIG_FB_CLGEN=m
CONFIG_FB_PM2=m
# CONFIG_FB_PM2_FIFO_DISCONNECT is not set
# CONFIG_FB_PM2_PCI is not set
CONFIG_FB_CYBER2000=m
# CONFIG_FB_VESA is not set
CONFIG_FB_VGA16=m
CONFIG_FB_HGA=m
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
CONFIG_FB_MATROX=m
CONFIG_FB_MATROX_MILLENIUM=y
CONFIG_FB_MATROX_MYSTIQUE=y
CONFIG_FB_MATROX_G100=y
CONFIG_FB_MATROX_I2C=m
CONFIG_FB_MATROX_MAVEN=m
CONFIG_FB_MATROX_G450=m

i don't see any reference to G200... however essentially the same config
was in 2.2.20 where X works fine.  the modules concerned with G200 are mga
and agpgart both of which are present and accounted for.

thanks for answering.

dave

-- Dave Mallery,K5EN (r/h 7.2 krud; debian woody)

no gates                     .~.
  no windows...              /V\
                            /( )\
running GNU/Linux           ^^-^^  (Linux TM Linus Torvalds)
  free at last!