Re: 2.2.20 -> 2.4.18 kernel-image -> X hangs machine

On 30 Apr 2002, Scott Henson wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-04-30 at 10:12, dave mallery wrote:
> <snip>
> > hi scott
> >
> > hardware: pIII-550E 256mb parity aha2940uw G200-16mb
>
> Is this a laptop?
> Other than it being a laptop it looks like very normal and well
> supported hardware.

not a laptop.  justa box.

> > kernel currently: stock kernel-image 2.4.18_686-5 (same problem with -4
> > and a custom compile job)  stock kernel has CONFIG FB=y
>
> Have you tried 2.4.17?  There was a little mix up with a patch in 2.4.18
> that may be causing you problems.  I dont think it would but try 2.4.17
> just in case.

wilco.  maybe later this afternoon.

> > ssh: no go  ctrl/alt/anything: no go
> >
> > machine is rock solid in console mode.
>
> So its completely fried?  Do you have any other cpu and memory intensive
> processes that you can run on this computer.  The 2.4.x series had a lot
> of changes in the VM implementation over 2.2.x along with a bunch of
> other stuff.  XF86 stresses the system pretty hard sometimes.  But since
> you can compile a kernel this is unlikely.  Did you ever get a
> segfault(sig 11 I think) while compiling a kernel?  If you did it would
> point to a hardware problem.

no visible hardware problem. no segfaults at all.  this machine has
several years of fine performance.

i have compiled several kernels and the box runs seti@home constantly.
have also compiled kernels with seti running. this machine ran 2.2.20 24/7
for weeks with the same XF86config-4.  machine gets apt-get update &&
apt-get upgrade daily.

> > frame buffer command in XF86config=4 was commented back in 2.2.20.
> >
> > Section "Device"
> >         Identifier      "Generic Video Card"
> >         Driver          "mga"
> > #       Option          "UseFBDev"              "true"
>

> So you are using XF86 4.1?  Is this option still commented out for
> 2.4.x  Have you tried enabling and disabling it?

i just tried startx with the FB option uncommented.  the machine did not
freeze, however, i am back to the "no screens found" error which led me to
comment it in the first place.

X4.1.0.1 was installed when i did a cold start from a march '02 woody iso
image.  has been fine once the UseFBDev was commented out.

<snip>
> Also are you running any services on this machine?  Does it lock up as
> soon as you start XF86?

i run sshd ntpd and lpd.  it hangs within 2 seconds of startx.

thanks again.  maybe someone else will recognize the symptoms.
this is such a vanilla machine it is suprising that this combo of standard
gi items does not work.

dave

--
Dave Mallery, K5EN  (r/h 7.2 krud; debian woody)
PO Box 520

no gates                     .~.
  no windows...              /V\
                            /( )\
running GNU/Linux           ^^-^^  (Linux TM Linus Torvalds)
  free at last!