Re: controlling screen dimming, sleep

On Tue Apr 30, 2002 at 08:52:20AM -0700, Richard Otte wrote:
> What controls whether or not my screen dims (goes to sleep) when I don't
> use the machine for a while?  I have the power saver features disabled
> in the bios, and still get the screen dimming on inactivity.  I'd like
> to find out how to disable this, because I think it is also not allowing
> my machine to be reached on the network.  When the machine is inactive,
> I can't ping it.  Any suggestions on where the screen dimming and
> network inaccessibility are coming from would be appreciated.  Thanks,

Of course there are many ways to change this behavior (after all this is
linux! :-)  And you can prabably have varying degrees of control, but
all I do is add this line:

        BlankTime               60

to the "Screen" sections of /etc/XF86Config. What that does is make it
wait 60 minutes of inactivity, then go blank. Be worned, I am on xfree86
version 3.3.6; 4.x is probably different.

--
-CraigW