Re: logrotate and wtmp confusion...

On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 05:09:59PM -0700, ben wrote:

> >     On my Woody system, there's nothing in /etc/logrotate.d
> >     except the file for the base-config.  Yet, looking at
> >     /var/log shows that syslog, messages, daemon.log user.log,
> >     and other stuff are clearly being rotated.
> >
> >     Since /etc/logrotate.conf only rotates wtmp and btmp, and
> >     /etc/logrotate.d doesn't control anything except
> >     installer.* files, where is logrotate getting instructions
> >     from for rotating the other files?
>
> on the first, check the output of chkwtmp.

I'll give it a try, but I wrote a C program to dump the
contents of wtmp, and the "extra" entries have no username, no
hostname, and the terminal ID field is "T1".  There's nothing
else there except the tv field.

> on the second, check out /etc/logrotate.conf.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your suggestion, I already did, and
I explained what was in that file:

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com