identd server

I am new to Debian.  I am bringing up a sparc box.   /etc/inetd.conf was
barren.  I added telnet. I tried to add the in.identd line but I am missing
the indent server it seems. So I did apt-get install pidentd. THen I added
the ident line to /etc/inetd.conf.  Do debian users normally configure the
/etc/inetd.conf by hand?  Or am I missing something that will do it for me?

I am loading with only disk1 of 3.  I had a lot problems with the download.
Once I got the disk1 I wanted to quickly give it a try.  I got the notion
somewhere along the way that disk1 will let you configure a basic system.

Should I stop what I am doing and get disks 2 and 3 and reload?

Thanks,
Mike