Re: identd server

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 05:17:43PM -0400, Michael Mueller wrote:
> I am new to Debian.  I am bringing up a sparc box.   /etc/inetd.conf was
> barren.  I added telnet. I tried to add the in.identd line but I am missing
> the indent server it seems. So I did apt-get install pidentd. THen I added
> the ident line to /etc/inetd.conf.  Do debian users normally configure the
> /etc/inetd.conf by hand?  Or am I missing something that will do it for me?

I'm not sure about why this is happening; I've installed lots of inetd
programs and they all set it up for me quite nicely.  Which version of
debian are you using?

> I am loading with only disk1 of 3.  I had a lot problems with the download.
> Once I got the disk1 I wanted to quickly give it a try.  I got the notion
> somewhere along the way that disk1 will let you configure a basic system.
>
> Should I stop what I am doing and get disks 2 and 3 and reload?

You should be able to install off the first CD; obviously only the
packages on the first CD will be available to you, but it should work.
Could you post some more details?  Which version of debian, where the
CDs came from, etc.

-rob

--
I did not vote for the Australian government.