Re: dynamically generated files

* Scott Henson (shenson2@wvu.edu) [020428 20:03]:
> I need something that dynamically generates files on the file system.
> Much like cgi.  I need it to just happen when a program accesses the
> file.  It will only be reading said file not executing it.  Anyone have
> any ideas on how to do this on a woody system with ext3 fs?  Thanks

Getting more specific would help. Probably what you want is a fifo, and
a process that continually writes to it. For example:

mkfifo /tmp/datefifo

while :
do
echo `date` >> /tmp/datefifo
done

Then, see what happens when you cat /tmp/datefifo in another console.
(Try it a few times.)

good times,
Vineet

--
Currently seeking opportunities in the SF Bay Area
Please see http://www.doorstop.net/resume.shtml