Re: mount troubble

On Sun, 2002-04-28 at 02:33, Ernst-Magne Vindal wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Im haveing this troubble with mounting a folder from on disk to a folder
> on another.
> The scenario is something like this:
> I'm running an ftp server just for a few of my friends and let them log
> into their home directories. I have there created a folder "ftp". I have
> then a folder on another disk for the ftp stuff called /ftpd/download.
>
> I wish to mount /ftpd/download to /home/<user>/ftp.
>
> I have tried to use mount -o bind /ftpd/download /home/<user>/ftp
> without any luck.
> I am really not sure about the "bind" option, it was something i picked
> up on the net, but I'm sure that both mount and smbmount is supported by
> the kernel, that is I can mount with vfat and msdos and samba/windows
> share.
>
> If I mount an msdos partition it's ok, but i I try with the -o bind
> option, I get the error message :
> "mount, not supported by kernel"
>
> My wish is to let the users log into their home dir's and lock them
> there, with exeption of the mounted folder.
> I have also tried vith symbolic links, but that gives the users access
> all the way down to /.
> I am running woody with 2.2-20 kernel.
>
> Any ideas?

To lock them there, you really need to run the ftp server in a chroot
environment. You could setup a chroot environment for your ftp server on
a directory and then *hardlink* /chrootbase/home/username to the users
home directory. Only hardlinks can break out of a chroot jail. For a
hardlink to work it must be on the same physical disk partition.

Another way would be to lock them via the protocol. Like an ftp server
that allows very precise Access Control Lists that will deny the listing
of any directories not specified (for *any* user logged in, not just
anonymous). I'm not sure of a server that does this. You may want to do
an appraisal of their features.

Kind Regards
Crispin Wellington