mount troubble

Hi all

Im haveing this troubble with mounting a folder from on disk to a folder
on another.
The scenario is something like this:
I'm running an ftp server just for a few of my friends and let them log
into their home directories. I have there created a folder "ftp". I have
then a folder on another disk for the ftp stuff called /ftpd/download.

I wish to mount /ftpd/download to /home/<user>/ftp.

I have tried to use mount -o bind /ftpd/download /home/<user>/ftp
without any luck.
I am really not sure about the "bind" option, it was something i picked
up on the net, but I'm sure that both mount and smbmount is supported by
the kernel, that is I can mount with vfat and msdos and samba/windows
share.

If I mount an msdos partition it's ok, but i I try with the -o bind
option, I get the error message :
"mount, not supported by kernel"

My wish is to let the users log into their home dir's and lock them
there, with exeption of the mounted folder.
I have also tried vith symbolic links, but that gives the users access
all the way down to /.
I am running woody with 2.2-20 kernel.

Any ideas?

/ernst