Re: PCI IDE controller - how to make it work?

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 12:59:07PM -0700, Erik Steffl wrote:
>   I just got PCI IDE controller and have troubles making it work with
> linux (2.4.18).
>
>   the docs in linux/Documentation/ide.txt say that linux will probe for
> ide devices that have device files in /dev or that I can force it to
> probe using ide2=0x1e8,0x3ee,11 (kernel option). So I thought it should
> almost work by itself but it doesn't. Here's what I did:
>
>   in /etc/lilo.conf, I tried these (and some other) variations:
>
> append  = "ide2=0x1e8,0x3ee,11 ide3=0x168,0x36e,11 hdg=cdrom"
> append  = "ide2=0x1e8,0x3ee,11 ide3=0x168,0x36e"
> append  = "ide2=0x1e8,0x3ee ide3=0x168,0x36e"

Just some guessing:
From below it looks like hardware probing is finding something.
Maybe try mounting devfs on /dev and then use devfs naming
conventions to access the new ide devices rather than specifying ports
in append.

[snip]

>   When I connect everything to PCI controller and disable the ide on
> motherboard the computer starts booting, the disks show just like they
> should (hda, hdb for HD, hdc for cdrom), the lilo boots kernel but for
> some reason kernel doesn't want to mount root file system, it's excuse
> being that root device 304 was  not found... what does that mean? I
This is saying it can't find the root device on ide0.
If you switch your hardware from ide0 to new PCI controller, I thing
you will need to reconfigure lilo to boot from that device or at least
rerun lilo.

> thought that as long as it's on the same ide (ide0) and same position
> (master) it shoudl work.
>
>   another confusing thing is that the pci ide controller is listed as
> follows in lspci:
>
> 00:09.0 SCSI storage controller: Artop Electronic Corp: Unknown device
> 0009 (rev 02)

You may need ide-scsi to use devices on new IDE controller. What
happens if you load modules scsi_mod sd_mod sr_mod st sg ide-scsi?

--
Jerome