Re: Re: installing woody

On Sun, 28 Apr 2002 16:10:05 -0400, you wrote:

>Did you install a new kernel when you upgraded to woody? woody should
>boot with same kernel you had with potato.

You mean I can't use the new 2.4 line?  Naw, that can't be right.
Maybe I can't be trusted will all this new complicated stuff, spose?

>Which kernel are you trying to use? Is it installed from a stock debian
>deb? Can you post your lilo configuration file?

2.4.18-5 for amd k6-2.  Also tried to roll my own.  Same result.

lilo on floppy:

lba32
boot = /dev/fd0
install = boot.b
map = map
compact
prompt
timeout = 50
read-only
image = vmlinuz
label = linux
initrd=/initrd.img
root = /dev/hde6

I added the initrd part since mkboot did not.  I also made sure
the /vmlinuz and initrd links on / point to the correct
files in /boot

lilo on hd:

lba32
boot=/dev/hde9
root=/dev/hde9
install=/boot/boot.b
delay=20
map=/boot/map
vga=normal
image=/vmlinuz
	initrd=/initrd.img
	label=Linux
	read-only

I thought the idea that woody might be calculating partition
labels differently so good that I tried a few.  hda9 does not
work as does not hde6

The hd/partition layout is as follows:

primary master - a- not used
primary slave    - b -not used
secondary master -c- 3gb with partions 5,6,7
secondary slave - d - not used

promise 66 - e - with partitions 1,5,6,7,8,9,10
All partitions are ntfs except that e9 is linux and
c6 is dos

Gleason