Re: apt

On Sat, 27 Apr 2002 12:35:06 +0200, Ernst-Magne Vindal wrote:

>Hi
>Can any of you guys tell me what this meens.
snip
>The following packages have been kept back
>  libwraster2 wmaker
>0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2  not upgraded.
>freak:/home/ernst#
snip

This question has been asked and answered at least 3 times in the last
week.  Here again is my answer from 4/21.

"If you're using apt-get update/upgrade, it likely means that those
packages need to put some new stuff on your machine.  It may be
that there are new/different dependencies to be met, or that the
pkg has been redesigned.  apt-get is polite.  It will not bring
strangers into your box without permission.  If you want to upgrade
those pkg's, you can use apt-get install [pkg pkg pkg ...], or apt-get
dist-upgrade.

"BTW, a google search will net >275K answers to this common query.  This
reply will add one more to the archive."

Before posting a question here, at least read the manual page, do a
google search, and check the archives.  Especially for us newbies, any
question we have has likely been asked many times.  The real gurus get
tired of answering the same thing over and over.
--
gt
It is interesting to note that as one evil empire (generic) fell,