Re: apt/dpkg problem

> Perhaps a diff between /var/lib/dpkg/status and one of
> /var/backups/dpkg.status* would help you here. At least it should reveal
> the last few changes to /var/lib/dpkg/status.
>
> HTH
Hmmm...diff between /var/lib/dpkg/status (april 25, when the error occoured)
and backups/dpkg.status.0 (april 24) is nil.

diff between dpkg/status-old (april 24) and backups/dpkg.status.0 (april 24)
is nil.

diff between dpkg/status (april24) and backups/dpkg.status.1 (earlier on april
24) is significant (78 packages at a quick count).

I'm not sure of the significance of this. I figure that there probably should
be some diff between dpkg/status and dpkg/status-old, and that this mwy be
where the problem lies but I'm not at all sure of this or where to go from
here. Do you know what dpkg is doing in attempting to parse dpkg/status ?
Seems that if I knew what process is going on here I would get some idea why
it's having a problem.

Peter.