Re: Command Line Listing?

Hello Newbies :-)

> Travis King wrote:
>
> Hey there, my uncle and I have just installed your latest Debian Linux
> on an older
> Solaris system. We formated and installed Debian.
>
> Everything is working fine that we can see, just we dont have the GUI
> (Graphic User Interface)?
> Or cant execute the GUI? Our main problem is that we are new and have
> no clue how to use
> Linux yet. We are 99% certain that we installed it because well we
> installed the whole installation!
>
> If you could supply me with a list of commands for Linux,  and how to
> start the GUI
> it would be greatly apreciated.

Well, a list of commands is easy enough,
  if you installed succesfully and dont have a GUI
  then you should find yourself at the commandline;
  just type "apropos . | less" .

That should show you that your windows experience is not a good basis
for exploring Debian,
  because Debian is very much greater.

I advise you to get a book on linux and read about the most frequently
used commands.
I personally like Sam's "Debian Gnu/Linux Unleashed".
I think it is strange that you didnt get a book already,
  why did you choose Debian ?

Getting you guys a gui is more complex,
  it normally starts itself, but in your case it didnt.
The debian-user mailinglist has frequently provided solutions to
problems,
  but if you dont give information, then how are we to know what's wrong
?
  unfortunately, problems without information are often ignored.
What exact type of solaris box do you have ? What videocard ? What
monitor ?
Which version and flavor of Debian did you install ? Where did you get
it from ?
Which choices did you make when configuring your system during install ?
  did you choose task X-windows ?

The subject line of your email was to the point, and you posted to the
right list, that is good !

Did you notice that to (un)subscribe you have to mail to
debian-user-request and not to debian-user ?

Welcome to free software !

Have fun !

  Siward

 windows has many qualitys. security and reliability are not among them.