Re: How to speed up fetching mail

Karsten Heymann <karsten.heymann@gmx.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to speed up failfetching via my modem. I've got four accounts
> to fetch mail from, i'm running spamassassin and sanitizer. My problem
> is: Every mail is fetched, scanned, delivered into my mailbox and
> afterwards deleted from the pop-server. That takes more than one second
> per mail, this makes 2-3 minutes only for debian-user per day (if i
> fetch every day). Now how can I reduce the online time? Is there some
> way to scan/sanitize the mail in background? Or at least fetch from the
> accounts parallelly? I tried retchmail from unstable but it somehow
> segfaulted and i skipped it. now I use getmail and like it, apart from
> speed (fetchmail was no better). What can I do?

I don't think there's much you can do, other than perhaps using IMAP
rather than POP3 and only downloading headers rather than each entire
message.

Fetchmail by default simply downloads each message and delivers it to
port 25 listener on the local machine.  At this point, it goes on to
the next message, allowing the rest of the delivery procedure to run
"in the background" (exim->procmail->spamassassin, or whatever your
setup is).

Getmail, I believe, bypasses port 25 and the MDA and delivers messages
directly to a mailbox.  This could potentially slow things down if it
has to wait for spamassassin/sanitizer to do their stuff before
delivery.

You could get better performance by running spamassassin and your MTA
as daemons, but I doubt it would have any impact on your online time
which is likely bandwidth-limited rather than cpu-limited.

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>