Re: Q's on backup to CD-R

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 10:47:30AM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> At 10:26 AM 4/24/02 +0200, you wrote:
> >Ross Boylan wrote:
> >
> >Just a thought -- I have heard that CD-Rs have a 1-bit per 100kB error
> >rate
> >in 1 year.  What that means is that in your typical 1-Meg program,
> >backed up to CD-R, you're not going to be able to use it after about a
> >year.
>
> I've heard that CDR is pretty reliable; the error rate you describe would
> make it almost useless.  Can anyone confirm or deny this?

100kB = 100 * 1024 * 8 = 819,200 bits.

Probability of any bit being randomly dislodged = 0.00012207 %.

Bytes per block on a CDR = 2352
Bytes used to store data = 2048
Bytes used for error correction = [I leave the math to you :-}]

I know it looks like I have too much time on hand.

[Yawn] Time to get to bed.

For more reassurance, visit http://www.cdrfaq.org

-Andy

P.S. - Find mistakes with my math? Boy, you have even more time to waste
than I do! [grin]