Re: Q's on backup to CD-R

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 10:47:30AM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:

   > I've heard that CDR is pretty reliable; the error rate you describe would
   > make it almost useless.  Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I too am surprised at the statement. But I have many cd's with me which
are about 3 years old. I still use them to retrieve my old data sets.
Found no problem whatsoever till date. BTW, the files on the cd are
either tar.gz or zipped. Neither of the programs have complained while
unpacking nor could I see anything wrong with the files extracted.

Maybe the poster can give some more information.

Regards,

--
Sridhar M.A.                                mas at uomphysics dot net

Winning isn't everything, but losing isn't anything.