Re: reiserfs and /boot

on Wed, Apr 24, 2002, mdevin (mdevin@ozemail.com.au) wrote:
> I am looking into changing over to reiserfs on all my partitions.  I
> tried this once before about 1yr ago and everything was OK, but I
> remember that I left a small partition as ext2 for /boot.
>
> I can't remember the whole details for why I left /boot ext2 now, but
> it was something to do with reiserfs otherwise requiring a no-tails
> option and thus using more space ?????
>
> Can anyone enlighten me on what is recommended with respect to
> changing over to reiserfs for all partitions?  I have been unable to
> find any mention of a particular need to leave one partition ext2 in
> the reiserfs FAQ or the namesys site.

If you're dead-set on this, switch from LILO to GRUB.

That said, I'll echo comments here.  Reiserfs is overkill (and wasteful)
for really small partitions.  I tend to set my cutoff around 100-200
MiB.  /boot's typically 10-20 MiB.

The problem is the reiserfs journal node, which is about 32 MiB,
invariant, itself.

If you really want journaling, make /boot, /, and /tmp ext3fs.

I need to update my Partitioning faq/howto on this topic.

    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/GNU/Linux/FAQs/partition.html

Peace.

   Scandinavian Designs:  Cool designs, affordable prices, great service.
     San Rafael, CA.