Re: reiserfs and /boot

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 02:47:02 -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Wed, Apr 24, 2002, mdevin (mdevin@ozemail.com.au) wrote:
> > I am looking into changing over to reiserfs on all my partitions.  I
> > tried this once before about 1yr ago and everything was OK, but I
> > remember that I left a small partition as ext2 for /boot.
> >
> > I can't remember the whole details for why I left /boot ext2 now, but
> > it was something to do with reiserfs otherwise requiring a no-tails
> > option and thus using more space ?????
> >
> > Can anyone enlighten me on what is recommended with respect to
> > changing over to reiserfs for all partitions?  I have been unable to
> > find any mention of a particular need to leave one partition ext2 in
> > the reiserfs FAQ or the namesys site.
>
> If you're dead-set on this, switch from LILO to GRUB.

Why do you say this?  I read somewhere that LILO works fine with
reiserfs since (about) version 21.6.  Can you explain why GRUB is
needed?  Not that I have anything against it, but I have only ever used
LILO.

> That said, I'll echo comments here.  Reiserfs is overkill (and wasteful)
> for really small partitions.  I tend to set my cutoff around 100-200
> MiB.  /boot's typically 10-20 MiB.
>
> The problem is the reiserfs journal node, which is about 32 MiB,
> invariant, itself.
>
> If you really want journaling, make /boot, /, and /tmp ext3fs.

I don't really need journalling for /boot, especially since I mount it
read only anyway.  So I guess I can leave it ext2.  I did do this 1 yr
ago when I last experimented with reiserfs.  I just couldn't remember if
it was solely due to a wasted space issue for such a small partition.

Thanks for help.
Mark.