Re: ISDN Auto Dial

On Mon, 2002-04-22 at 16:10, Timothy Coggins wrote:
> I have just installed unstable on my new machine. I have set up an ISDN
> link to my isp with the standard isdnutils package. It autodials out
> when an ip is specified (eg. 'ping 66.218.71.113') but not when a host
> name is specified. I have tried this with and without the 'nohostroute'
> option in /etc/isdn/ipppd.ippp0.
>
> I'm sure installing bind would fix the problem but this is a desktop
> machine and there must be a better way. Can anyone help? If anyone has
> this working could I have a copy of their ipppd.ippp0 config file?

You have to have some means of translating a host name to an IP
address.  You don't have to have bind running on your desktop, but you
do need to specify a nameserver; if there isn't one running locally you
can point at your ISP's nameserver.  Normally you do this by specifying
one or more nameserver lines in /etc/resolv.conf.

     "If my people, which are called by my name, shall
      humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and
      turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from
      heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal
      their land."    II Chronicles 7:14