Re: SCSI Transfer rate

On Sun, Apr 21, 2002 at 05:54:05PM -0400, Robert Webb wrote:
> Hi all,

hiho,

> sym53c876-0-<3,*>: FAST-5 WIDE SCSI 10.0 MB/s (200 ns, offset 15)
> SCSI device sdd: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 8380080 [4091 MB] [4.1 GB]
>
> which states that it is only 10 MB/s.  Is there something I need to
> change to correct this or is this normal??

i noticed similar behaviour if i had connected *slower* SCSI devices to
the same bus as your fast disk. for e.g., mixing SCSI-II and UW-SCSI
devices is allowed per defintion, but the whole bus does throttle down
to your slowest device.

for e.g. if your controller does loop through external and internal
devices (for termination), so do you have an external scanner or tape
device or such a like connected to your SCSI bus? if yes, try connecting
them to a different channel on the same controller or buy a cheap (or
old if you want) controller and connect them your slower devices to
that.

beside that, termination is always the first thing to check if SCSI
anomalies happens.

else, follow the tipps alvin oga gave you already in a previous post.

HTH