Re: Anti-aliased fonts in Mozilla 0.9.9

John Krasnay <john@krasnay.ca> writes:

> I'm running Debian testing and I just got Mozilla 0.9.9. The
> anti-aliasing works, but I'm trying to enable subpixel rendering. I've
> added `match edit rgba = rgb;' to my /etc/X11/XftConfig, but the
> anti-aliasing hasn't changed...it still uses grey for partial pixels.

I've got subpixel rendering working in xterm's, but I can't get either
ordinary anti-aliasing or subpixel rendering working in mozilla 0.9.9.

Can you tell me what you did to get it working for mozilla?  I edited
/etc/mozilla/prefs.js and added lines saying:

pref("font.directory.truetype.4", "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/commercial");
pref("font.directory.truetype.5", "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType");

Then I ran:

% export NS_FONT_DEBUG=400
% mozilla

and got output like:

gEnableFreeType2 = 1, nsFontMetricsGTK.cpp 940
gFreeType2Autohinted = 0, nsFontMetricsGTK.cpp 956
gFreeType2Unhinted = 0, nsFontMetricsGTK.cpp 963
gAntiAliasMinimum = 10, nsFontMetricsGTK.cpp 970
gEmbeddedBitmapMaximumHeight = 1000000, nsFontMetricsGTK.cpp 978
initialize freetype, nsFreeType.cpp 310
anti_alias=1, embedded_bitmap=0, AutoHinted=0, gFreeType2Unhinted = 0, size=24px, "Microsoft-verdana-iso8859-1", nsFreeType.cpp 624
anti_alias=1, embedded_bitmap=0, AutoHinted=0, gFreeType2Unhinted = 0, size=48px, "Microsoft-verdana-iso8859-1", nsFreeType.cpp 624

But no antialiasing.

Have you got subpixel rendering working in an xterm?  If not, maybe I
can give you a hand.

By the way, it seems to me that logic for the rgba setting in
XftConfig is reversed.  When I set it to bgr (I'm pretty sure my Dell
Inspiron UXGA screen is bgr, as you go left to right), a small dot is
rendered as a blue pixel to the left of a red pixel, rather than the
other way around.  Anyone else having this problem?

Dan

--
Dan Christensen
jdc+news@uwo.ca