CUPS: now pdf files don't print

I *finally* got my HP DeskJet 932C to work with cups and now I can print
test pages from the web front end and ascii pages from the command line
using lp, but I can't print pdf file with either acroread or xpdf

This was working at first and I printed several documents that I'd been
meaning to print, but then it quit without warning and reconfiguring the
printer twice hasn't helped. When I print from acroread/xpdf, whether I
use the default /usr/bin/lpr (yes, I have cupsys-bsd installed) or
change it to /usr/bin/lp, the job will appear on the queue for a few
seconds and then disappear with the printer sitting idle the whole time.

Any ideas?