Utility to convert videos

My digital camera can create short movies which are in AVI file format
and use the Motion JPEG codec.  I have several programs that can play
them; that's no problem.

I have two questions:

 1. What's the best file format and codec such that people using
    Windows, Mac, and Unix can view the video relatively painlessly?
    (A smaller size/better compression would also be great.)

 2. Is there a Linux command-line utility that can convert from my
    current AVI/Motion JPEG format to this other format (command-line
    is preferable but not technically a requirement)?

Again, I don't need a viewer, just a converter of some sort.

Thanks,

Michael