ESD and Gnome Sound woes

Hi,

I have a strange problem with esd.
If I select to start esd and to enable Gnome sounds
in the controll panel, then whenever I start X I get
some strange pulsing high frequency sound from my speakers,
that stops after X has finished loading.
And allthough strange that's not a big problem.
The problem is when I then try to play sounds with esdplay,
or the Gnome sounds from the Gnome control center, the
sounds are strange. Sometimes trunchated, sometimes witch
stops in it and sometimes parts of it repeat at the end...

The curious thing is, that if I don't enable esd, this obviously
does not happen, but I can still play sounds with esdplay,
and so they play perfectly.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Many thanks for your help in advance!
best regards,