Re: my isp is being told *i* am broadcasting spam?

On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 09:00:15PM -0400, Shawn McMahon wrote:
> > Noah (and I) didn't say a firewall was useless, just that discussing
> > firewalls when the problem is a (potential) mail relay is wholly
> > pointless.
>
> Noah did say that.  You, to the best of my knowledge, didn't.

Yes, I certainly did say as much, and in this case I do believe it would
be useless.  Putting a mail server behind a (network based) firewall is
quite dangerous.  Especially if you have other insecure hosts behind
that firewall that you think are safe.  The idea of a remote exploit in
an MTA is hardly novel, and if your mail server gets cracked, then there
are likely to be a lot of other vulnerable hosts behind the firewall
that suddenly become attackable.

Now, I don't declare firewalls to be flat out *bad*, though I do know
some very experience network admins that do.  They can have their uses.
I am not of the school that a firewall should block all traffic except a
few specific ports.  If I need to protect a certain dangerous service, I
will filter that port at the network border, but otherwise I do not
filter any traffic.  An example of when I would do such a thing is
during the recent SNMP vulnerability problem.  In a large heterogeneous
network, not all vendors will fix their SNMP implementations in a timely
manner, so it's best to filter the port at the border until I'm
reasonably confident that the systems are no longer vulnerable.  I am a
firm believer in network availability and flexibility, and that approach
has served me well for years.  (I am responsible for several machines on
a high-profile open network.  We do not rely on network-based firewalls
for security.)

> Apologies to Noah for calling him a troll.

No problem.  I'm sure I've been called worse.  Plus, this sort of debate
is always interesting.

noah