Re: Debian's position on MP3 encoders?

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002 18:33:25 -0500
"Shyamal Prasad" <shyamal.prasad@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>  However, I'm starting to learn that
> MP3 encoding is patent encumbered, and the chances of finding a free,
> legal in the good ol' USA MP3 encoder for Linux are pretty nearly
> nil. Am I right?

TMK, that is correct.

> If this is the case, what is the "Debian recommended" or "Debian user
> consensus" (if any) on an audio encoder for my CDs? I don't care if
> it's actually not MP3 - but it must be free, it must be legal, and
> reasonable performance and player choices would be nice.

I recently made the same journey.  I found "ogg" to be a suitable format
(similiar in size and quality to MP3).  I highly suggest the "jack"
package.  With minor configuration jack happily ripped my entire audio
collection.  The only think that jack didn't do for me was the generation
of play lists.  However a quick bash script fixed that.

--
Jamin W. Collins