Re: Debian's position on MP3 encoders?

Shyamal Prasad <shyamal.prasad@sbcglobal.net> writes:
> If this is the case, what is the "Debian recommended" or "Debian
> user consensus" (if any) on an audio encoder for my CDs? I don't
> care if it's actually not MP3 - but it must be free, it must be
> legal, and reasonable performance and player choices would be nice.

Use Ogg Vorbis instead of MP3.  The codec isn't patent-encumbered, the
standard encoder is free-as-in-speech, the compression is generally
better than MP3 for the same sound quality (or the sound quality is
better at the same compression), and all of the software you need is
in Debian (testing/unstable, at least).

> Is it toolame what I want? Or what? A recommendation for a
> ripper/encoder and juke box player would be most welcome.

I use cdparanoia for a ripper and oggenc for an encoder; abcde (which,
sadly, lacks a spinning fish) is a nice simple text-mode front-end
that combines these two and CDDB queries to produce a pile of .ogg
files from a CD.  XMMS works fine as a player (I don't like its UI,
personally, but it's better than anything else out there); the
canonical command-line player is ogg123.

	-- Abra Mitchell