Debian's position on MP3 encoders?

Hi,

I'm an audio/video software luddite, but I finally want to replace my
200 CD Sony disc changer pile of junk with my fancy new Debian Woody
workstation's sound capabilities. However, I'm starting to learn that
MP3 encoding is patent encumbered, and the chances of finding a free,
legal in the good ol' USA MP3 encoder for Linux are pretty nearly
nil. Am I right?

If this is the case, what is the "Debian recommended" or "Debian user
consensus" (if any) on an audio encoder for my CDs? I don't care if
it's actually not MP3 - but it must be free, it must be legal, and
reasonable performance and player choices would be nice.

Is it toolame what I want? Or what? A recommendation for a
ripper/encoder and juke box player would be most welcome.

Thanks,
Shyamal

PS: I don't like software and algorithm patents, but I strongly
support the view that people should respect intellectual property. The
DVD-CCA's position on CSS, on the other hand, is a completely
different story :-(