Re: Debian's position on MP3 encoders?

On Fri Apr 19, 2002 at 06:33:25PM -0500, Shyamal Prasad wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm an audio/video software luddite, but I finally want to replace my
> 200 CD Sony disc changer pile of junk with my fancy new Debian Woody
> workstation's sound capabilities. However, I'm starting to learn that
> MP3 encoding is patent encumbered, and the chances of finding a free,
> legal in the good ol' USA MP3 encoder for Linux are pretty nearly
> nil. Am I right?
>
> If this is the case, what is the "Debian recommended" or "Debian user
> consensus" (if any) on an audio encoder for my CDs? I don't care if
> it's actually not MP3 - but it must be free, it must be legal, and
> reasonable performance and player choices would be nice.

Mine might not fit strict definitions of "free" then again it might I'm really
not too sure. All I know is it's  all free as "beer" and that
it's probably pretty typical:

grip 2.91-1
cdparanoia 3a9.7-2
bladeenc-0.94.2 (from the tar.gz source)

If you're quite devoted to free (as in speech) you should probably look
into ogg.

-CraigW