Suggestions for multi-platform game development library?

Hi all!

I'm looking for something, I guess a library would be probably what
I'm looking for, that will allow me to write a game (RPG), but that is
supported on many platforms.  I'm looking specifically for *nix,
Windows, and, also preferably, MacOS (9 or X.  X should be fairly
easy.)  I want a write once, compile 3 times sort of deal.  Don't have
to fiddle with the source (too much) to make it compile on other
platforms.

Any suggestions?  I'd prefer opinions with experiences.  I know of
allegro, SDL, and libgengameng (but I don't do C++, ... yet.) just from
a quick scan through dselect.

I guess what I'm looking for is something to manage to graphics (no 3D
required, yet...), sound, and perhaps sound input/processing, but
don't worry too much about the last one yet.  Oh, and multilanguage
support (input/output) is a must.

I'm also up for suggested programming languages.

If this sounds very vague, it's because I haven't quite got all the
specifics down in my head yet.  It's still a sketch, but I'd like to
get something going.

Thanks for any help!

Marshal