Re: [headed OT] Re: scripting

Shawn McMahon <smcmahon@eiv.com> writes:

> begin  John S. J. Anderson quotation:
> >
> > I'm confused by the above statement. Canceling out the double
> > negative, I get
> >
> >   "that is the definition most people mean when they know enough to
> >   call non-scripting 'programming'".
>
> You cannot cancel two negatives out of sentence by merely assuming each
> cancels the other.  Whomever taught you that rule needs to be coaching
> instead of teaching.

Nobody taught me that rule; it just seems the obvious thing to do,
assuming that the person you're speaking with is silly enough to use a
double negative in the first place.

(Consulting
<http://tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/Hacker-Speech-Style.html> might be
informative. Or not.)

> "don't know enough not to" means "if you knew more, you wouldn't".

If you say so; the mapping from the phrase on the left to the one on
the right is far from obvious for me.

> People who don't know enough not to think "programming" is a seperate
> set than "scripting", as opposed to a superset of it, wouldn't think
> that if they knew more.

You're doing it again.

john.
--
"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I
believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."