Re: Wrong characters in man pages

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 12:40:09PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> Matijs van Zuijlen wrote:
> >In many different man pages characters that should probably be some form
> >of quote are displayed as a Z with an inverted caret on top.
>
> Can you give me an example page where you see this so that I can try to
> reproduce it? It sounds like your fonts aren't doing the right thing
> with Latin-1 characters.

Any page that contains \' in the source will do. In fact, man man shows
the result in describing the -7 option. The xpdf manpage also shows the
problem.

> Also have a look at the description of the -7 option in man(1) and see
> if that's helpful.

Yes, if I use the -7 option, things work correctly.

Now, I have looked at the character sets using gcharmap, and it turns
out that iso-8859-1 and iso-8859-15 differ in more than one place. I always
thought the only difference was in the € (euro) sign, but character 180,
the acute accent in latin1, is the Z-with-inverted-caret in iso-8859-15.
I have tried this with several different fonts. The tables on
http://czyborra.com/charsets/iso8859.html confirm this, and show that
even more characters are different.

So it seems none of these pages will display correctly in a locale that
uses iso-8859-15 (and others in the iso-8859 series). IMHO, all these
pages use this character incorrectly. The acute accent is not a quote
character. Neither is the grave accent, of course, although that one
often shows up looking like a starting quote. Oh well.

--
Note that I use Debian version 3.0
Linux mus 2.4.17mvz4 #1 Fri Mar 15 23:30:15 CET 2002 i686 unknown

Matijs van Zuijlen