Re: Emacs advice,what to install?

Russ Pitman <rjp@belle.apana.org.au> writes:

> I have always disliked emacs, so much so that when the install programs
> loaded it I dumped it out as soon as I got to the root prompt, right from
> years ago when I first started in linux.

emacs is simply a great editor. A lot of people are put off at first
by it's complexity and memory foot-print size but once you get the
hang of it, vi and other editors become a real drag to use.

> So emacspeak seems the best application and I see "Six" versions of
> emacs/xemacs in sid with a bazillion add-ons.	Its worse than KDE or Gnome.
>
> Do I really need to download all of them or is there a smaller set that
> would cover simple needs.

I like just standard emacs - not xemacs. Regular emacs works great
with X but it's not as flashy as xemacs. Other than that, you'd just
need the dependencies of emacspeak but beyond that, I can't think of
anything you simply must need.

You probably *don't* want the Lisp sources right away (emacs20-el);
they're great to have later on but in the beginning stages things like
that might be too complex. The Lisp sources that are compiled are a
must, however, and I imagine that is part of the base package.

Uhm..

emacs20
emacsen-common

That appears to be it but I do not have emacspeak installed. You may
want to install the emacs documentation. Emacs comes with a tutorial
and I suggest you begin with that to learn the key-bindings.

Regards, Elizabeth