Re: Emacs advice,what to install?

On 16-Apr-2002 Russ Pitman wrote:
> I have always disliked emacs, so much so that when the install programs
> loaded it I dumped it out as soon as I got to the root prompt, right from
> years ago when I first started in linux.
>
> Now I want to try out speech, no I am not losing my sight, its simply the
> challenge, which brings me back on topic.
>
> So emacspeak seems the best application and I see "Six" versions of
> emacs/xemacs in sid with a bazillion add-ons. Its worse than KDE or Gnome.
>
> Do I really need to download all of them or is there a smaller set that
> would cover simple needs.

emacs v. xemacs is a personal choice.  I dropped xemacs when it forced me to
install esound.

$ dpkg --get-selections|grep emacs
emacs-goodies-el                                install
emacs21                                         install
emacs21-el                                      install
emacsen-common                                  install

is what I have installed on my machines.  21 is the newest and unless you can
not due to emacspeak you should use it.

Before you go this route, double check on what emacspeak needs.  Last I looked
it required non free and perhaps even non packaged items.