Emacs advice,what to install?

I have always disliked emacs, so much so that when the install programs
loaded it I dumped it out as soon as I got to the root prompt, right from
years ago when I first started in linux.

Now I want to try out speech, no I am not losing my sight, its simply the
challenge, which brings me back on topic.

So emacspeak seems the best application and I see "Six" versions of
emacs/xemacs in sid with a bazillion add-ons.	Its worse than KDE or Gnome.

Do I really need to download all of them or is there a smaller set that
would cover simple needs.

Running Sid current to date,and use icewm when in X ,no desktop.

--