Re: Install help - trying to write floppy image to nonexistent floppy drive (?)

on Mon, Apr 15, 2002, Jesse Lackey (jesse@celestialaudio.com) wrote:
> Hello all -
>
> Maybe someone can clarify what's going on (and provide a workaround...) :)
>
> I have a vaio pcg-717 laptop but no floppy drive for it.
> I'm booting from CD 1 of 2.2R6 CD-Rs I burnt from the .iso images.
>
> Boot fine, partition fine, I'm at the "install operating system kernel
> an modules".  I choose CDROM as my install medium.
>
> I then get: "Installing the rescue floppy from images on mounted
> medium...", the CD spins, 15 seconds go by, and I get an error:

The message is misleading.  You're installing the "rescue floppy" image,
but its source is your CDROM.

> Floppy Error!
> The attempt to extract the rescue floppy disk failed.
> (and below that a message: ioctl: LOOP_CLR_FD: device not configured")

Sounds like you're having a problem with a loopback device module.
Though I'm not sure of that.

> Now I wonder if the installer is attempting to write to my nonexistent
> floppy drive.  Or maybe the CD-R medium is bad?  I'd have to download
> the .iso again to burn another copy.

Rather than doing that, checksum your existing ISO (and the burnt CDROM)
first:

    $ md5sum <iso-file>
    $ md5sum /dev/<cdrom-device>

...you have a functioning shell in virtual console #2 on the rescue
system, though you may not be able to get there.  Not sure if Tom's
Root/Boot has md5sum, but you can check the FAQ:
http://www.toms.net/rb/

> Tips / advice ??
> I'm a relative newbie ... I've been using redhat 7.2 for about 2 months,
> but have been reasonably successful in linuxland so far.

If that RH system's still up, try using it to check your md5sums.
Compare with the published MD5 hash for the ISO on the download site.

If they don't match, you've got a bad download or media failure.  If
they do, your problem's likely elsewhere.

Peace.

   zIWETHEY: Rattlestar Techlectica:  http://z.iwethey.org/forums/