fuzzy fonts in menus

Hello,

Since my switch from Redhat to Debian, I noticed fonts in Gnome are
quite unclear, unsharp. I notice this in almost all applications and
window menus, titles. I'm using Gnome with sawfish. On the redhat system
this was simular. I checked font configuration both on my Debian and on
my old redhat system. I notice no difference. However on the Redhat
system there seems to be an extra tab in the 'Sawfish window manager' in
the submenu 'Appearance' The name of this extra tab is 'CoolClean
Settings' Has this something to do with it?

Ooh yes, I'm using an LCD monitor. But I don't think that's very
relevant since on the redhat system it seems to work fine.

Hope somebody can hint me to a solution.
-Jeroen-

--
Jeroen Valcke               jeroen@valcke.com