Install help - trying to write floppy image to nonexistent floppy drive (?)

Hello all -

Maybe someone can clarify what's going on (and provide a workaround...) :)

I have a vaio pcg-717 laptop but no floppy drive for it.
I'm booting from CD 1 of 2.2R6 CD-Rs I burnt from the .iso images.

Boot fine, partition fine, I'm at the "install operating system kernel an modules". I choose CDROM as my install medium.

I then get: "Installing the rescue floppy from images on mounted medium...", the CD spins, 15 seconds go by, and I get an error:

Floppy Error!
The attempt to extract the rescue floppy disk failed.
(and below that a message: ioctl: LOOP_CLR_FD: device not configured")

Now I wonder if the installer is attempting to write to my nonexistent floppy drive. Or maybe the CD-R medium is bad? I'd have to download the .iso again to burn another copy.

There doesn't seem to be any way forward from here.
Clearly its possible to install on a machine w/o a floppy drive ... right?
I have dsl so I could do a network install, but since netinst isn't "officially supported" I tried to go the "standard" way first.

Tips / advice ??
I'm a relative newbie ... I've been using redhat 7.2 for about 2 months, but have been reasonably successful in linuxland so far.

Thanks in advance - I'm looking forward to trying out Debian (I went with redhat first more as resume material than anything else).

Jesse