Re: [Question] Harddisk Error!!! - damage

On Sunday 14 April 2002 11:35 pm, Rich Puhek wrote:
> ben wrote:
> > so that e2fsck on an unmounted partition is okay? but to check a mounted
> > partition it should be efsck? or what?
> >
> > sorry, i haven't been following the thread. i'm not sure if it matters
> > but since using the 2.4.17 kernel on my machine , crashes nessecitating
> > the check haven't happened, at all.
>
> Umm no...
>
> First off, "fsck" just calls the appropriate filesystem-specific
> program, which happens to be "e2fsck" for most of us. I've never heard
> of efsck... possible typo?
>
> Second, You always want to fsck unmounted partitions only. If nothing
> else, trying to fsck a mounted partition produces the following message:
>
> "WARNING!!!  Running e2fsck on a mounted filesystem may cause
>  SEVERE filesystem damage."
>
> Mr. Ts'o (the guy who wrote a large portion of the ext2 stuff in Linux)
> knows much more about filesystems in general, and ext2 in particular,
> than I do, so I listen to that error message.
>
> Finally, It's not just crashes that will cause the system to run an fsck
> at boot time. There's a mount counter that will automatically fsck after
> so many reboots (or was it mounts?). I recall the number being set to
> 20. You can also force checking upon reboot by supplying the "-F" option
> to the shutdown command.

no probs. that's exactly my understanding of the situation; although
pre-2.4.17 kernels crashed so often, i really thought my disk was fscked.
since then, it's all been good--so much so that i've been reticent about
moving up from there.

thanks for the response.

ben