Re: Ethernet problem

On Sunday 14 April 2002 04:41 pm, Michael D. Crawford wrote:
> I have a different ethernet card than you in my laptop (it's a DEC Tulip -
> 21143) but I have found that I have to power off when switching between
> linux and windows.  It doesn't work to do a reboot.  If I stay in linux, or
> stay in windows, I can do a warm reboot, but to switch from one OS to the
> other it requires a cold boot.
>
> My understanding is that the 21143 is programmable at boot time with some
> kind of loadable firmware, and I think this firmware is not erased in a
> warm reboot, and the presence of the firmware from one OS screws up the
>
> Perhaps you have a similar problem.
>
> What I suggest you try is making a LILO or Grub floppy (grub is available
> as a package in Woody at least, or you could get the source from
> http://www.gnu.org/software/grub) and power your machine down, then boot
> off the floppy.  If you find that a cold boot into Linux fixes your
> problem, then maybe you have a similar situation to mine.  If that's the
> case then your choice would be to continue booting off a floppy, or put
> LILO or Grub into your boot block so you can get into linux from a cold
> boot.

given that windoze requires that any new hardware installation be
acknowledged by a cold boot, regardless of claims made by that os, i'm
willing to bet that the lack of recognition is one-sided, i.e., soft-booting
into windoze, rather that in linux. is that the case? it would surprise me to
hear that a loading linux kernel would miss what you've got.

ben